Thursday, April 2, 2009

Better late than never, right?

It has definitely been an extremely busy (and at times stressful) two or three weeks because I've had a lot to catch up on and make up.  I have been wanting to blog about the India trip and all the things that are going on.  I'm sure it'll be a longer blog to make up for the lack of blogs recently. lol.  So here are some of the highlights of the trip for me.
  • the trip starting off very funny at the LAX airport with paparazzi as Victoria Beckham walked right past us to get to a flight.  (Yep, that's right...we had a Victoria Beckham sighting)...I also had a little freak out moment when we got on the airplane because the flight attendants were British and had cute accents.
  • the fact that we were the first trip to stay at Suresh's house.  I made it a point to befriend his staff and learn about them and get to know them...it was fun to hang with the girls who work for Harvest India.  They loved helping the girls from RH get our sari's on and teach us things about India.  They always smiled and I could tell they have a great community.
  • being in India after "Slumdog Millionaire".  Suresh, Christina, Suresh's assistant Raj and lots of others have lots of pride in India and the movie...quite and experience to be listening to the soundtrack to the movie as we're driving through India (Raj was always playing it in the car)
  • I was so touched by the people of the villages...so gracious and welcoming and grateful for us to be there whether it was a water well dedication, outreach or just visiting.  Like the village we did a water well at and they have a church and we ended up having a church service and getting a tour of the villiage becuase they were so excited to have us for church.
  • The kids at the orphanage and the villages were so amazing.  So full of energy and the kids at the orphanage would all ask individually "sista, what's your name?"  I loved spending time with them.  I would say it was the hardest on our last day in Tenali to spend time with the kids and then have to leave.  (I will admit, I got teary eyed then)  
  • Visiting the nursing school and seeing those women and how cool it was that they actually were learning the same things I am...with real bones and microscopes and all!  God has so provided for HI to be able to train the future nurses well.  And the fact that HI's nursing school is so different from the nursing schools in India because they don't take bribes...the other nursing schools require a bribe to get in (a reflection of how India works).
  • one of the funny conversations was Steve asking one of the drivers from HI "why?" about people/things he's seeing as we're driving and he turns to Steve and says "it's India...you don't ask why".  

Well, I am hoping to have an India night because I got all the pictur
es from the team member who was going to put them all together and give them to us because there's lots more to tell
 and the pictures are awesome.  Oh, and just a little side note, if y'all could be kee
ping my studies in prayer; as well as my nursing school applications.  I just sent in my application to Cal State Fresno and am really trying to be patient and not stress (essentially trust God in the work that He's up to).  

No comments: