Friday, February 5, 2010

The bright side of things on a rainy day :) (can also be titled "A Heart Change" or "This is my confession")

Confession time...I've been in a funky mood lately. Some of the kids I babysit for (in particular 2 unrelated kids) have been a lot to deal with...and I have let it get to me. And I'm moving, and I've let that get to me. That's really not like me. I'm the person who rallies others and is always seeing the sunny side of things and can compartmentalize so that things don't effect me. But I think after going to India this time, it's been harder. Anyway, today...on a rainy and gloomy day that wasn't a perfect day babysitting...I was listening to Switchfoot and it spoke to me and comforted my spirit and brought me joy. And I had a heart change...I was remembering how I've posted a good amount about the fun times I have with kids I watch and the funny things they say, and how I actually haven't done that in a long time. And not long before that I was thinking to myself how I don't see the bright side of things in moving in with my parents only to have to move again soon, and not getting into classes, and having some hardships babysitting. That's when the thought entered my head "Brittani, you are always the one who's positive and lists the pro's and always says 'It's not all bad' "... so here it goes

Pro's
  • I love my family very much!!!!! And I will not think of the negative things that could happen (fights with them or being more confounded by living with them)...I haven't lived with them in six years and that's exciting!
  • I am so fortunate to be able to have the ability to live with family and have more time to be able to pick a place to live
  • I am going to be able to save more money...I'll be able to finish paying off the India trip (because I still have about $950 left to fundraise) and whatever I have on my credit card, and save up for a car
  • I've had numerous people tell me that if I needed to I could crash at their home if I need to...love my group of friends
  • God has provided so much in having people to help me move, staying at my current place an extra week, and so many other things
Now, for the funny kid stories!
  • the three year old girl I watch (who is almost 4!) was with me and her mom when her mom was asking me about my living situation and if/where I was moving and I said I didn't have a place yet...and the 3 year old girl goes "Brittani, you can sleep on my bed and I can sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor by the bed". Melt my heart!
  • I am already in love with the little boy I babysit for who recently came home to his U.S. family. He knows my name (from a girl named Britney at the orphanage he stayed at) and this week when I was babysitting for him he would run out of the room we were all in and run back in yelling "BRITTANI" and I would say his name in the excited way he did to mine. This lasted for a good 20 minutes until we had to get ready for bed and even after that he kept doing it. Then at bath time I actually put bubbles in his bath and he went crazy...and I'd put bubbles in my hands and blow them in his direction and he literally went hysterically laughing and flailing into the water...EVERY TIME!!! (and I purposely kept doing it for at least 5-10 minutes). His laugh is so contagious and adorable. And it's adorable how much his whole family loves him.
  • while I was sitting a 5 year old boy and he wanted to watch the Lion King. It was at night and I knew it was okay for him to watch T.V.; as I was putting the DVD in, he starts talking about the movie and says "oh, yeah and the monkey baptizes Simba"...he was talking about the part when Rafiki puts the red dirt/paint on Simba after he's born. Too funny :)
Anyway, I am going to try even more to go to God with all these things(the good, the bad and the blah) and ask Him for joy, strength and perseverance!

No comments: