Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Being Apart of History

Today was another day of firsts for me :) I voted today in my very first election (thanks to Candy for helping me be able to!). In 2004, my birthday was two weeks after the voting happened so I didn't get to participate in the democracy that I live in. Honestly, it was fast, not difficult and afterward I felt a sense of accomplishment and pride for taking part in making decisions for my country. I am proud that the voting rate of Americans increased during this election. I feel as if one of the biggest things I can appreciate is people taking a stance for what they believe or feel. And I can definitely appreciate people taking the initiative and researching candidates, issues, propositions and getting off their keisters to vote. At the same time people, I sense that people are loosing hope and are becoming angry. Remember that we live in a country where the people have power. And the president (whether democrat or republican) has checks and balances to what he (or she) can do. If something happens that you don't like, we can take it up with the government. And lets be filled with some hope, or at least some optimism for our next president. Both candidates have been in the Senate for a while and they have not been kicked out for a reason (perhaps because they are both doing their jobs). Lets just see what happens before we assume the worst, and know we are each our own individual and the government does not dictate our values and beliefs. Shouldn't our faith be much greater than any sort of organization or institution that humans have established. And just remember, we are in America, not a severely oppressed third world country...we are so privileged. I'm just trying to give some perspective and try to not get up in arms about it myself.
So, now for India topics. Today marks 52 days until I get on an airplane for Andhra Pradesh, India. Oddly, today was a day that it was even more real that I am going...I was talking with a family I babysit for and they wanted me to watch their kids on New Years Eve and I had to say "that's when I'm going to be out of the country"!!! Considering that this will be my first time out of the country, I'm pretty excited to say that. Also, the India team has a meeting this weekend; and the drama team on the India trip (which I'm apart of) is meeting beforehand, so things are definitely moving there. We all have a lot of great ideas for ways that as a team, we can display Christ and the Lord through drama (like the parable of the Good Samaritan). Well, here is to this election and what the next four years will bring.
Until next time, God bless you all!
p.s., I think I'm sort of beginning to get the hang of this blog thing :)

No comments: