Monday, November 10, 2008

It gets even better :)

I received some very good news today about my support for going to India. I thought that there were some checks missing from the list I had gotten yesterday so I e-mailed a leader about it, and she got back to me and said that there were even more checks than I thought that hadn't been processed yet; so now my total is $2845!!! I'm 81% done with my support, and I have 7 weeks left! It's amazing that I have so much support and people who really believe and are there for me, and really support the cause. Another feeling I have is that I've shown my heart and have made an impact on others lives for them to care about me, and I've also shown others my heart for the trip (which are both meaningful and it puts a smile on my face because it fills me with joy). I know that all of this could not be completed on my own, so thanks again everyone. I'm still thinking of holding a fundraiser though, to help benefit me and the rest of the team (it's in the works). I'm learning more Bible verses and trying to prepare spiritually, as well as emotionally. Some other news about my progress on getting to India is that I have an appointment at the end of this week to get my first round of immunizations. I'm looking forward to this trip, to being used in India, to getting out of my comfort zone and my own perceptions of the world and people, and making real connections with others. Thanks again everyone for any and all the ways that you are helping with this trip. Oh, and the countdown is now 46 days until take-off!
I wanted to leave you all with this article that I found today called "Where Do America's Happiest People Work?". Notice that the incomes aren't much of a factor at all in happiness...it's the jobs where you get to help others and get creative! (i.e., where a person is challenged and called not to be so selfish, but also gets to make an impact on others) It reminds me how different the term "happiness" is defined in our culture and in my generation compared with those from decades past. Is happiness really about yourself? I hope not, because I don't think that you can be content trying to please yourself...how monotonous and unsatisfying would that be.

No comments: